A copy of Senate Bill 890 is available on Thomas (GPO PDF version). According to the press release the Act would:
- Create a new federal Public Utility Board within the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT to direct and oversee formation of this HIT Public Utility Model, its implementation, and its ongoing operation.
- Implement and administer a new 21st Century Health IT Grant program for safety-net providers to cover the full cost of open source software implementation and maintenance for up to five years, with the possibility of renewal for up to five years if required benchmarks are met.
- Facilitate ongoing communication with open source user groups to incorporate improvements and innovations from them into the core programs.
- Ensure interoperability between these programs, including as innovations are incorporated, and develop mechanisms to integrate open source software with Medicaid and CHIP billing.
- Create a child-specific Electronic Health Record (EHR) to be used in Medicaid, CHIP, and other federal children’s health programs.
- Develop and integrate quality and performance measurement into open source software modules.