Tuesday, November 11, 2008

World War II Honoree: LeMoyne Coffield

On this Veterans Day I give thanks to all military veterans who have served their county. Please take time today at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month to thank a family member, friend or colleague who served their county.

Thanks to my sister Becky who submitted information to the National WWII Memorial to honor my dad, LeMoyne Coffield, and his brother and my uncle, Terrell Coffield. They are my heroes in so many ways. The photo to the right is my dad and his honoree entry reads:

ACTIVITY DURING WWII
INDUCTED INTO THE U.S. ARMY ON DECEMBER 18, 1942, PROCESSED AT FORT HAYES, COLUMBUS, OHIO AND REPORTED FOR DUTY AT WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY ON DECEMBER 21, 1943. HE WAS LATER TRANSFERRED TO THE MEDICAL COLLEGE OF VIRGINIA TO COMPLETE HIS MEDICAL TRAINING. HE WAS IN THE ARMY SPECIALIZED TRAINING PROGRAM (ASTP) WHICH TRAINED PHYSICIANS FOR MILITARY SERVICE. A PRIVATE FIRST CLASS DURING THE WAR, HE WAS HONORABLY DISCHARGED ON MARCH 23, 1946.

You can search the WWII registry or register an honoree here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How nice! I am grateful for your family's service. :)

Anonymous said...

@Bob - Great idea to show your appreciation. I'd like to use this space to honor my great uncle Allen Sanders who passed away this year after a very long and productive life. Also to both my grandfathers James Henry and Bud Seibert, and to another great uncle, Earl Henry, who was tragically shot down in the Pacific Theater shortly before WWII ended.

I'd also like to thank my uncle Carlyle Farnsworth and father-in-law Jim Nixon for their service in WW II and Vietnam, respectively, and all the other veterans and current armed services personnel who have protected our country.

Bob Coffield said...

Dr. Val and Justin - thanks for your comments. Justin, you should look up your relatives who served in WW II on the WW II Memorial link listed above. If there is not current information on them you should add some historic information with photos to officially honor them.

Others are welcomed to leave a comment to this post to honor other veterans who served.